Re: PGP and verifying ids / emails

Hi,
>>"Brian" == Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:

 Brian> You need to be sure that you are signing the *correct* public
 Brian> key, and not just any public key that happened to be created
 Brian> with "John Smith"'s id (which is publicly known).

        When I sign a key, I have am standing in front of John Smith,
 who has conviinced me it is indeed John Smith (using 2 picture
 ID's). He then asks me to sign a key -- I assume he is giving me a
 public key whose private key he has (what is the point otherwise?).

        I do verify that the ID on the key matches the ID that was
 shown to me.

 Brian> ie it is not much point a public key for "John Smith" if "John
 Brian> Smith" doesn't have the private key.

        Why is he asking me to sign it then?

 Brian> Somebody may have replaced a copy of the correct key with a
 Brian> "forged" key along the way.

        Without John Smith knowing? I hope no one is that incompetent.

 Brian> You (as the signer) needs some way to verify that "John Smith"
 Brian> really does have the private key before signing the public
 Brian> key.

        How does one do this?

 Brian> Of course, I have never attended a key signing meeting, so I
 Brian> don't know how/if this checking is usually done. I think the
 Brian> usually way is to check the fingerprint of the key.  Come to
 Brian> think of it, I don't think anybody asked for my key
 Brian> fingerprint when I become a Debian maintainer...  (I may be
 Brian> mistaken though).

        This is quite confused. The fingerprint is of the public key
 (or else how do you check it? No one should be giving anyone a look
 at the private key at all).

        I think you are missing something. See, I meet John Smith. He
 shows me photo-ID. He gives me fingerporint of his *public* key. I
 download key from key server, and check the finger print. I check the
 ID matches the photo ID's I saw. I sign just that ID. Now tell me
 again, how short of forging two picture ID's, there is a flaw in
 this.

        manoj

--
 The meta-Turing test counts a thing as intelligent if it seeks to
 devise and apply Turing tests to objects of its own creation. Lew