Re: Multiple binaries => multiple packages ?

On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 05:52:42PM -0400, Gopal Narayanan wrote:
> i386-pc-linux-gnu-gnulibc2.1       : for libc2.1
> i386-pc-linux-gnulibc1		   : for libc2.0
> i386-pc-linux-gnulibc1-static	   : static 2.0
> i686-pc-linux-gnu-gnulibc2.1	   : 686-optimized for 2.1
> i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1-static	   : 686-optimized static for 2.0
>
> Now, I did make an install package that would install the binaries
> from the tarball that is put either in /tmp or $TMPDIR. My question is
> - should I actually make 5 separate packages with different
> dependencies or make one package with instructions to download the
> correct tarball for their system. With the latter option, obviously if
> someone with a slink system were to download the gnulibc2.1 version,
> the program won't run. Based on this, it seems to me that I should
> make 5 separate wrapper packages, and force dependencies
> accordingly. Am I right?

Well, potato is GLIBC 2.1. You don't really need to support anything else,
so only two packages (686-optimised and non-optimised).

Note that the gnulibc1 is NOT for libc2.0 as you have above -- it is
for libc5. I think they should provide a glibc 2.0 (libc6.0) binary
as well, but they don't. My slink system is running the libc5 binary
because I don't want to upgrade to potato yet.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).