Re: upstream author == debian maintainer

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 09:32:08PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> While waiting to become a debian maintainer, I am trying to
> "polish" my package(s), and I have a few questions:
>
> 1) I am the author of program I am packaging. To save myself
> some work, I have packaged it as a native debian package. Is this
> allowed? (There was some discussion about it a long time ago,
> and it seemed possible to do so)

Works fine for me.

When I started xfstt I was debian maintainer...now the author told me
he doesn't have time and I took over as upstream maintainer. I simplified
MY life by merging it into a native package.

I also make every effort to make sure it works on non-debian systems too
of course (which right now I wish I had accewss to a Solaris X86 machine
cuz I got a report that it wont build there)

> 2) Since debian/changelog and CHANGES are the same (obviously), I
> could symlink one file to another. Which way it is better?
> CHANGES -> debian/changelog or debian/changelog -> CHANGES ?
> Or should I keep debian/changelog just a description of changes made to
> package (such as recompiling against newer glibc), and CHANGES for
> everything else?

Well it is YOUR package. I tend to keep my debian changelog for just package
 related things and another changelog for general program related.

> 3) I am using debhelper. When it is updated to FHS, will it automatically
> move document and manpages to /usr/share? (I think so... just asking to be
> sure)

I am not sure

-Steve
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it"
                -- Oscar Wilde