developer-in-waiting using bts?

I've announced (on -devel) my intention to adopt an orphaned
package (ispell) while waiting for my developer application
to be processed.

I'm working on some of the open bugs, and would like to
contact one (or more) of the bug submitters.

Should I write directly to the bug submitters and cc:
the relevant bug number@bugs.debian.org, or is it better
to just do it privately (not involve the bts) until I'm
officially maintaining the package, or should I leave the
bug submitters alone until I'm official?

Thanks.