Re: Guidance while adopting freeamp package

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 02:28:49PM -0400, Ian Peters wrote:
> I have been working with the old package, updating it to the latest
> release of freeamp.  I have changed the Standards-Version to 3.0.0
> from 2.4.0.  The documentation, which I expected to be installed in
> /usr/share/doc/freeamp, is installed into /usr/doc/freeamp.  Is this
> normal?

Debhelper hasn't yet converted to full FHS compliance. Let's wait and
see.

> When I run lintian on the resulting package, I get lots of errors such
> as:
>
> E: freeamp: unstripped-binary-or-object usr/lib/freeamp/plugins/freeamp-linux.ui
> E: freeamp: shlib-with-non-pic-code usr/lib/freeamp/plugins/freeamp-linux.ui
> E: freeamp: shlib-with-executable-bit usr/lib/freeamp/plugins/freeamp-linux.ui 0755
> E: freeamp: no-shlibs-control-file usr/lib/freeamp/plugins/freeamp-linux.ui

You do know that you can get explanations of all these errors by
using the '-i' option of lintian?

> What should I do about this?  This was also present in the original
> version of the package I am adopting.  Is this really an error, and if
> so, what do I change to fix this?

If possible (if they will function properly after it), strip them,
according to the Policy guidelines. Compile them with the -fPIC
option for the linker to get rid of the second error. chmod -x
them to get rid of the third, and ignore the fourth error if no
other library/executable will link to these files outside your
package.

It would be good to provide us with some more information - what kind of
plug-ins are they actually?

> > Please cc all mailing list replies to me, also.
>
> You are using mutt and have the Mail-Followup-To: header set to
> debian-mentors@lists.debian.org, which mutt does automatically for you
> unless you add "unset followup_to" to your .muttrc.  If mutt (which I
> also use) sees this header, it will not cc you, even if I select group
> reply to your message.  If you really wish cc's of your reply's, you
> should unset this variable.

Hm, cool. I noticed this header, but I don't know how to edit it
'in-place', i.e. on the screen where I'm editing other headers,
just before sending the message. Is there such option? Or can I
just use 'E' and add it myself (that is a bit painful)?

--
enJoy -*/\*- spelled 'iosip', or simply 'joseph'