Re: cgi script question: copied or linked?

On Mon, 05 Jul 1999 20:33:47 +0200, Eduardo Fernandez Corrales <eduardo@sistelnet.es> said:

> The prog I am packaging is a perl script that can also be used as a cgi
> program.
>
> Should I copy it to /usr/lib/cgi-bin or just make a symlink from
> /usr/lib/cgi-bin/<prog> to /usr/bin/<prog> ?

I'd say, neither.  Stuff put in /usr/lib/cgi-bin will be accessible to
the whole world by default.  Unless the only reason to install your
package is to get the CGI program installed, it shouldn't do it at
all.  Security conscious admins would not thank you for installing a
CGI script they didn't expect.  The admin can link your program into
cgi-bin if desired.

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@argon.org