RE: maint-doc and dh_make

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> 30. June 1999 6:35
> There's nothing stopping you from using a different
> copyright. Many rules
> files do.

Yes but not all combinations of copyrights are compatible.

> (Which brings up a point - most debhelper rules files claim to be GPL
> copyrighted by me. That's really a bad thing, because the GPL
> may not be
> compatable with the package they're in. When I talked about
> this with Ian
> Jackson he said that's why he used what he used on his rules
> files (go dig
> up an older rules file to see it, I don't have it handy.)

Perhaps the model rules should have a good copyright note.
Could somebody (in -legal, perhaps) craft a copyright statement
that would be compatible with the most common licenses in main.

Perhaps policy should have a mention about rules copyright.
Also lintian could have a check that maintaner and rules copyright
should match (or that rules should not be copyrighted by
Joey or Manoj or ...).

> Anyway the upshot is if you see GPL copyright by Joey Hess on
> a rules file
> and it's a problem I will allow it to be changed to a less restrictive
> copyright as necessary.)

t.aa
(happily proposing things for others to do )