Re: Autoconf question

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 03:44:35PM -0400, Decklin Foster wrote:
> prefix=@prefix@
> exec_prefix=@exec_prefix@
> bindir=@bindir@
> mandir=@mandir@
> icondir=@prefix@/share/icons
>
> and these variables are referred to elsewhere. My problem is that when
> the Makefile is generated, it comes out like:
>
> # Generated automatically from Makefile.in by configure.
> #
> prefix=/usr
> exec_prefix=${prefix}
> bindir=${exec_prefix}/bin
> mandir=${prefix}/man
> icondir=/usr/share/icons

Perhaps you could modifying the Makefile.in and other files to add a
@icondir@ much like @bindir@. Clearly, @bindir@ (etc) are being
filled in at runtime (of make) while icondir isn't.

However I suspect you should not be doing "make prefix=...";
you should make without overriding prefix, and just override it
during "make install". Or override DESTDIR during "make install",
if possible.

prefix can affect the program at runtime too. You don't want to hardcode
the temporary location into any executables.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).