Autoconf question

I am attempting to package a program that includes some icons. in
Makefile.in, it has the following:

prefix=@prefix@
exec_prefix=@exec_prefix@
bindir=@bindir@
mandir=@mandir@
icondir=@prefix@/share/icons

and these variables are referred to elsewhere. My problem is that when
the Makefile is generated, it comes out like:

# Generated automatically from Makefile.in by configure.
#
prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
bindir=${exec_prefix}/bin
mandir=${prefix}/man
icondir=/usr/share/icons

So, when the package build process runs make with the argument
'prefix=/home/decklin/devel/xap/xap-0.7.7/debian/tmp', it has no
effect on $icondir and make attempts to install the icons in
/usr/share/icons. I am using fakeroot, which could be a problem.
Am I missing something silly here?

--
Debian GNU/Linux - http://www.debian.org/
The Web is to graphic design as the fax machine is to literature.