Re: question about kernel sources .config

On 25 Jun 1999, Kirk Reiser wrote:

> > Well, I don't think there is a way to get around it. You have
> > so much space and so much information. I think a boot/driver
> > disk set is the only way.
>
> Well, debian kind of does that now.  I am not sure how they decide
> what should be built into the kernel and what should be on the drivers
> disks.  It is something I am interested in though.

I think it's just maximum compatibility.

> > See if the device is made at that point.
>
> Huh? we're talking about setting the root device in the kernel image
> on the debian boot floppy.  If there's any devices set up their in the
> root.bin file.  I'm just trying to rdev the kernel.

If you strace rdev you will find the answer.

| R Garth Wood                    | Storm Linux: Taking Linux by storm. |
| Stormix Technologies Inc.       | www.stormix.com                     |
| Supreme Commander               |                                     |