Re: Becoming a new developper

> I intend to become a new developper but I've a problem.
> I have succefully (lintian says me only one error related to the man page)
> packaged gwget, a GTK+ frontend for wget but I'm not an expert in DEB.
> packaging for now.

Sounds OK.

> Is it morally - or policy - correct to become a new developper and
> learn more
> about DEB packaging if needed for other packages ?

Given that it can take several months to have the application
processed, it is quite reasonable to apply now and to learn during the
wait ;)  Seriously, though, it is quite reasonable to learn on the
job; it's what most of us do.

> Can I upload my DEB to my homepage to allow you testing the package and
> reporting errors to me ?
> So, How to make a apt compliant hierarchy on my homepage area ?

Yes.  Just put it on the page and announce it here for testing.  Make
sure to make the source available too!  And you should just be able to
put the package in a given location and testers will be able to
download it directly.  If you want it to be APT-friendly, you'll
probably have to make a Packages file using dpkg-scanpackages.  Never
done it -- can't give more advice.

HTH,

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk