Re: Library packages, libtool and automake.

At 20:39 +1000 1999-06-08, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 12:09:01PM -0600, James Bielman wrote:
Yeah, this is what dh_make generated:

        ./configure --prefix=/usr
        -mkdir shared static
        #
        # First build the shared library
        cd shared ; \
          $(MAKE) -f ../Makefile VPATH=".." srcdir=".." \
              CFLAGS="-O2 -fPIC -pipe" ; \
gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,$(package).so.$(version_major) -o $(package).so.$(version) `ls *.o`

I used dh_make on a library once and it generated this. Then, I started
over and did it by hand. I don't know why we can't trust the upstream
Makefile to build the shared library, generally speaking.

Because dh_make is stupid, generally speaking, it has no intelligence when it comes to even moderately complex packages.

dh_make's generated rules file should not be taken as gospel, ever.

My thoughts on this case:

In this case, lose the crap that dh_make shoves in there and study the upstream package to figure out the correct way to deal with it.

In general with libtool that'd be "./configure --enable-static --enable-shared --prefix=/usr" and "$(MAKE)" in the build target and "$(MAKE) install prefix=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr" to start with in the binary-arch target.

If you get stuck, take a look at other libtoolized packages packaged with debhelper.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>