Re: Library packages, libtool and automake.

So wrote Julian Gilbey on Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 06:50:05PM +0100:
> You haven't actually said what the straightforward way is....

Ahh, sorry.  I just used dh_make and told it to debianize as a library.

> Firstly, are you able to configure and compile it when doing so
> directly (i.e., not via debian/rules)?

Yes, that works fine.

> I presume that if you are using automake and autoconf, then you want
> to have something like this in debian/rules (assuming you are using
> debhelper, which you are, aren't you?!):

Yeah, this is what dh_make generated:

        ./configure --prefix=/usr
        -mkdir shared static
        #
        # First build the shared library
        cd shared ; \
          $(MAKE) -f ../Makefile VPATH=".." srcdir=".." \
              CFLAGS="-O2 -fPIC -pipe" ; \
            gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,$(package).so.$(version_major) -o $(package).so.$(version) `ls *.o`
        #
        # Build the static library (it does not need Position Independent Code,
        # which reserves one register; thus without -fPIC we get more efficient
        # code).
        #
        cd static ; \
             $(MAKE) -f ../Makefile VPATH=".." srcdir=".." \
                  CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe" LDFLAGS="-s" progs

        touch build-stamp

Since this tries to link *.o into the shared library itself, this is why I
assumed it's not going to work out-of-the box with libtool.  Basically, I
just need help getting the debian/rules right. :)

> Is this what you are doing?  If you are using automake, you mustn't
> change Makefile.in explicitly, or your changes will be lost.

Nod.

> Perhaps you could post your configure.in, Makefile.am and debian/rules
> for perusal if the above doesn't help?  Or give a URL from where they
> can be downloaded.

Sure.  Go to http://www.tailrecursion.com/libaccounting/

Thanks for your help. :)

- James