Re: How much pristine should the .orig.tar.gz be?

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 12:25:39PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> Note that we already use non-pristine tar files in some cases (for
> example: where the upstream version doesn't contain files in a
> properly named subdirectory).

AFAIR it is irrelevant how the directory in .orig.tar.gz is named,
since dpkg-source uses patch -p1 (or some other method) to bypass it.

However it is important that the .orig.tar.gz unpacks into one directory,
there were some bugs filed on how dpkg can't handle archives that
unpack their contents in the current directory.