Policy about library package names

Hi all.

After a couple of talks with Josip Rodin, I came across with one question
regarding the Debian Policy for naming library packages:

Suppose I've got a library named foo version 1.32, should the package name
be foo1{-dev} or libfoo1{-dev}? The question is should one use _lib_ on the
library name?

Almost all the new packages are naming the libraries lib<name><soname>{-dev},
but as I read it, there's nothing in the policy (section 4.3) that states this.
All it says is that the package should be called <libraryname><soname>{-dev}.
Should we consider a change in the policy about making this a policy standart,
as everyone is following these rules?

--
Pedro Guerreiro (aka digito)    (pguerreiro@bigfoot.com)
Diplomacy: the art of letting someone have your own way.