Re: creating libraries

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 12:16:23AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 10:57:10PM +0100, Pedro Guerreiro wrote:
> > > If they are libraries, they should be called lib<name><soname>{-dev}.
> >
> > Why? Are there any policy regarding this subject? The library is called
> > _cgraph_ not _libcgraph_, why should I rename it? There are several libraries
> > that do not have the lib part (mesa and glut, just to name a couple).
>
> Yes, GTK+ is not libgtk1. Yes, XForms is not libforms0.88. Yes, FLTK is
> not libfltk1. Yes, GGI is not libggi2. Yes, ncurses is not libncurses4.
> Yes, PAM is not libpam0. Yes, PropList is not libproplist0. Yes, ReadLine
> is not libreadline2.

Don't need to came so hard, I was just making a question (and a good one too,
IMHO :-) ).

> Why? Read Debian Policy, section 4.3.

I've read, re-read, tri-read, ... and still don't quite get it.
I says there that the library should be called <libraryname><soname>, but that
is not the same as lib<name><soname>, or is it?

Ok, just let me make clear that I don't have any problem making the library
name libcgraph instead of just cgraph, I just want to make a point.
I can see that the _normal_ way to build the libraries these
days is to use lib<name><soname>, and all the new stuff is following these
paths, as one can see by the examples you give above _but_, as I read it, the
Debian Policy _does not_ makes you do so.

How about changing the policy to make this fact perfectly clear? If we replace
to anyone.

> > But don't I need to discuss it (in -devel I think) to create a virtual
> > package?
>
> Yes, that is the problem, actually, because you usually need to have a
> good reason to have a virtual package. Better ask on debian-devel.

I don't think it's worth the trouble. I _don't_ have a good reason to create a
virtual package. The library is pretty much useable and stable.

--
Pedro Guerreiro (aka digito)    (pguerreiro@bigfoot.com)
Diplomacy: the art of letting someone have your own way.