cvs-buildpackage archives .orig.tar.gz

I have a question about cvs-buildpackage.

I was surprised to see that all of the upstream .orig.tar.gz is
injected into my CVS repository.  I was expecting that the CVS
repository would only hold those files modified or added for the
debian build (only those files for which there are entries in the
.diff.gz file).

Is there a mode in which cvs-buildpackage does not keep the entire
upstream source in the CVS repository, or is that the only way it
works?  It seems weird that the unmodified upstream source is kept in
both the repository and the .orig.tar.gz file.

Kirk