Re: What to do when new version available upstream...

On Sat, Mar 06, 1999 at 09:41:35AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:

> > > The editing isn't necessary.
> > >
> > > Simply patch -p1 < somefile and it will ignore the first directory
> > > component (the versioned directory).
> > >
> >     I never had the guts to do that.  What happens if the upstream author heavily modifed
> > a file that is modified in your diff?   I guess patch is supposed
> > to be smart, but is this failsafe?
>
> If patch gets confused, it won't apply that patch.
>
> Sometime's you'll have to work out what's going on by hand.  It's fairly
> subjective whether it's more hassle to evaluate the patches one-by-one,
> and apply those still relevant, or to apply them all and then evaluate
> them.

To be more precise, patch will apply hunks that he can - and those
that it doesn't manage, will save in <patchedfilename>.rej file.
Also, if it has any problems with patching (that includes the 'fuzz',
offset of lines), it'll save the original file in <patchedfilename>.orig.

I see no way you can lose data. Except if the patch is not malformed,
but simply wrong :)

BTW Jules, I've tried the -p1 method, it works very well. Thanks for
the tip.