Re: What to do when new version available upstream...

On 6 Mar 1999, John Lapeyre wrote:

> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> > > I usually extract the new one (or apply a patch if that is the method),
> > > gunzip -dc old_version.diff.gz > somefile, then edit that 'somefile' and
> > > replace all instances of progdirectory-1.2.0 with progdirectory-1.2.1.
> > > Then apply that new diff with patch -p0 < somefile. And then clean up the
> > > .rej and .orig files and apply the missing stuff manually.
> >
> > The editing isn't necessary.
> >
> > Simply patch -p1 < somefile and it will ignore the first directory
> > component (the versioned directory).
> >
>     I never had the guts to do that.  What happens if the upstream author heavily modifed
> a file that is modified in your diff?   I guess patch is supposed
> to be smart, but is this failsafe?

If patch gets confused, it won't apply that patch.

Sometime's you'll have to work out what's going on by hand.  It's fairly
subjective whether it's more hassle to evaluate the patches one-by-one,
and apply those still relevant, or to apply them all and then evaluate
them.

Jules