Re: Which targets are mandatory in debian/rules?

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 11:54:15AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 01:24:51PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > Any package which uses the GNU toolchain can be build in multiple
> > directories like this:
> >
> > mkdir debian/build-no-x; cd debian/build-no-x; ../../configure --disable-x
> > make
> [..]
>
> epic4 doesn't build this way and it uses autoconf at least.  I asked hop
> to fix this and he did but I don't have the fix quite yet.  Soon though.

For this to work, one has to be EXTRA careful with relative paths in
Makefile.am's and Makefile.in's; for example:

	foo: ./bar

might work under normal conditions, but if you use ../configure, the final
Makefile will read:

	foo: ../bar

(or something like that) but that's not what you wanted.  The point is,
configure will rewrite relative paths according to some set of rules.

Read (autoconf.info) and (automake.info), in particular the sections
regarding srcdir, top_srcdir, ...

						Marcelo