Re: Which targets are mandatory in debian/rules?

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 12:12:26PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> And conversely, of course there is at least one technical reason to prefer
> doing all the build in the 'build' target - the 'binary' target may be run
> as root (more likely fakeroot, I admit, but possibly actual root).
>
> It seems to me that policy should be changed, here.

This may bmean the build target ends up doing part of the binary
target's work though. For example I have the packages sattrack
and sattrack-x11, which are built from the same source. I hacked
the Makefile so I can enable or disable the X support from debian/rules,
but the whole thing needs to be cleaned out and rebuilt for whichever
version. Hence I have a dummy `build' target. It already does weird stuff
during building with objects in other directories...

Hamish