Re: newbie problems and some questions

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Fernando Sanchez wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I'm having some problems uploading a package, but I also think I
> must have done something wrong in the process, so please tell me if there is
> some big mistake in my procedures:
>
> - I got an automatically-generated mail confirming my account/password on
>   master, etc, which also mentioned that I should use fer@debian.org address
>   for signing packages, so I had to add this identificator to my pgp key and
>   send the new public key to keyring-maint@debian.org, which I did. I
>   suppose this address belongs to some program which automatically adds
>   received keys to debian keyring, so I sent the key in an ascii-armoured
>   file directly, with no comments or anything. I also did not sign the
>   message with my pgp key, and don't know if I should have done that nor
>   received some kind of confirmation, either.

keyring-maint is a real person, AFAIK.

> - a few days later, I decided to adopt an orphaned package listed in wnpp
>   list, so I wrote to the original maintainer and wnpp@debian.org to inform
>   about it, and by now got last maintainers' confirmation for adoption, but
>   no reply from wnpp; maybe there must be none or maybe list maintainers are
>   too busy, which I understand. I did not post to debian-devel about my
>   adoption for I did not see any mention to the need of doing this in wnpp
>   list neither other docs so far.

It's generally a courtesy, in case other developers have been thinking
about it.

> - this same day, I made the package (spim-6.2), checked with lintian and
>   uploaded it with dupload to erlangen site in Germany, without problems.
>   But later (today) I have received a message from the "Debian queue daemon"
>   (ftplinux@rrze.uni-erlangen.de) which said that there was no key matching
>   my key ID (3FEC39EB) in their debian-keyring.pgp file and that description
>   file would be deleted.
>
> What have I done wrong? is it only that I should wait some more days for my
> key to be added to debian-keyring.pgp and "propagated" to the rest of Debian
> uploading sites? will I receive some kind of confirmation about this?

It could be a propagation problem.  I suggest you send another mail to
keyring-maint, asking about this.

> Another question; in the making of this package I discovered that its build
> part did not work if I ran dpkg-buildpackage from fakeroot (libtricks 0.2-5)
> shell, so I ran dpkg-buildpackage as normal user and modified rules file to
> run the necessary commands with fakeroot. For example:

You're not supposed to run dpkg-buildpackge from fakeroot.  You're
supposed to run

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

Did you try that?  (It only runs certain portions as fakeroot -
specifically the 'binary' target and the 'clean' target).

> fakeroot dh_clean -k
> fakeroot dh_installdirs
> fakeroot $(MAKE) install BIN_DIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/bin
> MAN_DIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/man\
> TRAP_DIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp/usr/lib/spim
>
> (just an example) Is it ok to do it this way?

Not really, no.

Jules