Help for a newbie package builder

I'm trying to build a debian package; this is the first debian package I
try to build, so I need some help.
I'm reading "Debian packaging manual" and "Debian policy manual". That's
enough, or there is a better tutorial? The packaging manual looks as a
description of all the parts of a debian package, but a step-to-step
tutorial would be more useful.

The package I'm trying to debianize is a UDP logger; it's funny feature
is that it not only log Back Orifice activity, but also try to answer
with false random system info. I'm not the author of the package, but
the real author released it under GPL and is aware of my try to make a
debian package.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

--
  Mauro Mazzieri  mazzieri@iol.it    http://gulliver.unian.it/~mazzieri/

World domination. Fast.
	-- Linus Torvalds