Re: Version specific packages

Jules Bean wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> >
> > The question is as follows:  Can the Debian package `gri' mention
> > a non-official package `gri-2.2.0' in its control file?
>
> Technically no.  Perhaps if it were in contrib.

How would that help disminish the size if contrib also gets in CD
and mirrors?

> Could you (re-)explain why this is a good idea?

Sure.  Gri is a programming language in the same sense as
gnuplot.  While gri is currently mature, its commands have
changed in the past (and bugs have occurred) such that an old
command file ceases to work with a new version of Gri.  To
protect ourselves from this, we may keep older versions on-line,
e.g. I have the following older versions installed since 1995:

$ ls -l /opt/gri
total 8
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 Jun  9  1995 2.017
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 Jan  9  1996 2.052
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 Apr  4  1997 2.1.10
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 May 12  1997 2.1.11
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 Oct 29  1997 2.1.15
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         1024 Jul  2  1998 2.1.17

(The Debian ones are elsewhere)

I thought I should provide the same protection to Debian users as
I do for myself.

But if the `replaces: gri-VERSION' line will confuse some Debian
packaging scripts, then I will remove it and warn users in
README.debian that there is no dpkg dependence protection if they
install gri-VERSION (which will over-write files owned by the gri
package).

Peter