Re: mh-book compressed html files

On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 03:47:40PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> I wrote the script only to then realize that netscape and lynx
> _cannot_ substitute compressed "file:/" URLs, but only "http://";
> URLs (it's most probably the apache server doing it for them
> transparently anyway).

The server is doing content negotiation, the client asks for foo.html, it
looks for that, doesn't find it, and content negotiation kicks in, and it
finds foo.html.gz

>From all the things you said, compressing the files and replacing the links
seems the most sensible thing to do.

Regarding option 2 (HTTP server), you might want to take a look at the
doc-base and dwww packages.  The location for the files *is*
/usr/doc/mh-book, but you have to register the information with dwww using
doc-base.

						Marcelo