Re: How to tweak a rules file without `make distclean' ?

I hope I'm saying the correct things now. One of the Debian elder may want
to look at my reply and probably jump in.

On Wed, Jul 08, 1998 at 09:56:16AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> I'm attempting to package a piece of software I use a lot, and have to
> tweak the resulting file layout quite a bit under debian/tmp/ to get
> something resonable.

Well, let me first say that a Debian package should build without manual
intervention. The way from the clean source package to the final *.deb
package is just one command "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot" for example, this
is very important for porting Debian with autobuilding etc. For this reason,
every file tweaking has to be done in the rules script in the final version.

For development purpose, you may weant to test the rules file without
recompile. Just change to root (or use fakeroot or whatever) and start
"debian/rules binary". This should adress all your needs.

> I tried to comment-out `-make distclean' in the rules file to speed things
> up, but now I get stuff like:
>
> dpkg-source: cannot represent change to write.o: binary file contents changed
> dpkg-source: cannot represent change to gri: binary file contents changed
> dpkg-source: building gri in gri_2.1.17-1.dsc
> dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source
>
> I suppose the packager is comparing files to the orig.tar.gz and not liking
> the added compiled files.

Yes. Binary files are not allowed to change, because you can't use diff on them.

> Is there a short-cut I can temporarily use to layout the file tree (What
> I don't want to build a final .deb file at this point, just get everything
> placed right (links, binaries, info files, html files, etc).

Again, remember to insert this tweaking in the rules file, or the package
won't build cleanly.

Marcus