How to tweak a rules file without `make distclean' ?

I'm attempting to package a piece of software I use a lot, and have to
tweak the resulting file layout quite a bit under debian/tmp/ to get
something resonable.

I thought I'd adjust the rules files, and run `dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us'
again.  Unfortunately, the `make distclean' step is causing each iteration
to take a long time because of recompilation.

I tried to comment-out `-make distclean' in the rules file to speed things
up, but now I get stuff like:

dpkg-source: cannot represent change to write.o: binary file contents changed
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to gri: binary file contents changed
dpkg-source: building gri in gri_2.1.17-1.dsc
dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source

I suppose the packager is comparing files to the orig.tar.gz and not liking
the added compiled files.

Is there a short-cut I can temporarily use to layout the file tree (What
I don't want to build a final .deb file at this point, just get everything
placed right (links, binaries, info files, html files, etc).

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada