Re: 2nd call for help

On Wed, Mar 11, 1998 at 08:56:14AM -0600, Zed Pobre wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I'm not sure you have the right impression of contrib here. Contrib
> > packages have to qualify the same standards as the main distribution,
> > *except* that they may depend on non-free stuff.
> >
> > But the package requirements, the dfsg-compliance and so on are the same.
>
>     I posted the copyright earlier.  It was generally agreed upon that it
> was DFSG-compliant.  All of the binaries in the packages can be recreated
> with the source code in the package I'm distributing as iraf-common.  The
> entire package is policy-compliant except that the binaries cannot be
> automatically reconstructed via a single debian/rules pass -- it'll have
> to be done manually.  If you have half a day to spare, you can try it
> yourself after downloading only iraf-common (which is now on master).  I'm
> going with the easy out that Manoj accidentally gave me and calling
> this an example of buggy code that is otherwise policy compliant and
> therefore falls into the same class of examples in Policy 2.1.3 as:
>
>   * packages which we don't want to support because they are too buggy
>
> although the very next example in the same section would cover me
> otherwise:
>
>   * packages which fail to meet some other policy requirements in a
>     serious way.

You are right. Although I believe that there was some agreement that
packages in contrib should be of the same quality as the packages in the
main distribution (and therefore both reasons should not stand as a rational
to put packages in contrib anymore), I can't point you to a specific policy
section or messages in the list archive (the discussion is some time ago,
and I'm too lazy to search the archive).

However, I just wanted to point out that the "image" of the contrib section
has changed somewhat recently, and I'm not sure if the current policy does
already reflect this.

It was just a general point anyway, not specific to iraf.

Thank you,
Marcus