quake2 config file conflict handling

I've got a bit of a problem packaging the new release of quake2.  In the
current package I'm using /etc/quake2.conf to hold package configuration
info.  The new release of quake2 has started using that same file for
its own purpose.  I'll have to rename my configuration file.

The first problem is what to call my new file.  Perhaps quake2deb.conf?
quake2.deb-conf?

The second problem is how to handle the user's old configuration file.
My current thought is to have the preinst move the old quake2.conf to
the new name if called with install or upgrade with the previous version
being older than this release.  Is there a better general approach?  Are
there cases I should be handling which this ignores?

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@argon.org