Re: No upstream version, et al

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:14:08 +0800, Anthony Wong <hajime@asunaro.ml.org> said:
> Hi Debian developers, I'm still very new in creating Debian
> packages, so here are two of my silly questions :)

> Q1: What should be the version of a package if the upstream source
> does not have a version number? Should I use yymmdd or yyyymmdd as
> the version?

Clearly YYYYMMDD is better.  If the upstream maintainers might
eventually add version numbers, you could version it as 0.0.YYYYMMDD.

I think this is documented somewhere but I'm too lazy to find it.

> Q2: Currently I'm packaging a program that lets people install
> Newton programs to their PDA from Linux. As this program requires
> access permission to the serial ports, only root can use the program
> in normal condition. But I also want the program can be used by
> common users, so what should I do?  Just inform people to add users
> to the group 'dialout' in postinst?  Or suid/sgid the program?

Don't suid/sgid a program that wasn't written with that in mind.  The
fewer suid programs there are in Debian, the more secure it will be.

So just inform the users.