Re: which shared lib is used, when system is not rebooted?

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Matthias Klose wrote:

> Just a stupid question: Is a newly installed shared libc6 used for new
> processes, when the system is not rebooted?
>
> ld.so(8) reads:
>
> BUGS
>        Currently  ld.so  has  no means of unloading and searching
>        for compatible or newer version of libraries.
>
> So I come to the conclusion that I have to reboot. Is this correct?

As far as I've been able to tell, when you install a new library in
Debian, it is used for all NEW processes but no running processes.  When
you install something as large as new X librarys or a new libc, it is
probably a wise idea to reboot though, since it will free up some memory
taken by the old libc (which can't really be completely freed out due to
init using it).  This is not, however, strictly necessary.