Re: xwatch installed in correct section?

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 02:42:45PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> I received a bug report on xwatch which I can fix easily.
> Here's a change to fix the wrong upload section at the same time
> (or change contrib/utils to contrib/x11 and just live with it).
> BTW, I wanted the package to be in utils because that's where
> related or similar packages are (system monitoring).
>
> So... can anyone answer this for me?  Thanks.
>
> I wrote:
>
> > Yesterday, I uploaded my first package, xwatch.
> > I surprised to see it go in section x11.  I just received this:

The section in the control file is your suggestion for the section;
the Debian archive administrators will override it as necessary.
In this case, they changed it to contrib/x11, because it's an X program.
(If you think this is bad, you might want to discuss it on debian-policy.)

Your control file entry will not matter from now on, although it would
be best if you changed it to say contrib/x11, because that's what people
see if they do "dpkg-deb -I filename.deb" on your package.

Hamish