Re: Advice packaging jazip

On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 10:38:02AM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> 1- what to use as a menu entry:
>
>    the command usage is
>
>        $ jazip [raw_scsi_device]
>
>    Since a device is usually required as argument, what do I do for the
>    `menu' entry?  Should I create a confile in /etc and a shell script
>    that parses it?  Or should I create a jazipconfig script to do something
>    like that (and what should it do?)

I would prefer the conf file. You could supply a jadeconfig script also
until we have a more general configuration setup approach.

> 2- mount points:
>
>    The mount points for Zip and Jaz disks are hardwired as /zip and /jaz.
>    Should the deb package create /zip and /jaz mount points?
>    What if they already exist and aren't empty?
>    This should be done in postinst, right?

Please add a configuration option in the conf file. Even if it would require
changing the upstream source, this would be preferable. Packages must not
create directories in the root dir.

> 3- suid:
>
>    jazip is usually suid root such that users can u/mount disks.
>    Should I create a new jazip group to get around that?  I suppose it
>    would need to own the raw scsi device and mount points, but I can play
>    around with that to figure it out.

The device files are owned by group disk. Please leave this decision to the
sysadmin. He can always add users he trusts to group disk, or change the
group layout. Do not ship the binary setuid. I wouldn't even register it
setuid in the postinst.

>    Should this by done in a jazipconfig script?

I'm not sure.

> 4- Location:
>
>    I plan to put jazip in /usr/X11R6/bin

please put it in /usr/bin. We have no definitive policy about this, but I
think that /usr/X11R6 is only for the X tree and support software (window
managers, X servers, etc). Application software should be in /sur/bin, IMHO.

>    the mini-icon used in `menu' in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps
>    the support doc file needed by the binary in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/jazip

/usr/lib/jazip. If it is plattform independent, maybe /usr/share/misc. If
there are more files, /usr/share/jazip.

>    Should I put _all_ supplied icons in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps ?
>    Or in /usr/doc/jazip/icons ?

Please explain what the supplied icons are for. Normally, yes, all in
pixmaps, so they are available if needed.

Marcus