Re: NMU: Incompatibility between dpkg-dev and developers-reference

In article <Pine.OSF.4.05.9810291548230.22824-100000@newton.physics.arizona.edu>, John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.Arizona.EDU> writes:

> On 29 Oct 1998, James Troup wrote:
james> Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:
james>
james> > Any help/patch/comments?
james>
james> Help: Simply upload the orig.tar.gz manually.
james>
james> No, that's plain wrong.  If you do that the .changes file won't
james> list it.  Instead pass `-sa' to dpkg-buildpackage(1).

> 	Well I uploaded them by hand for a while, and the install
> script looks and finds it even if it isn't in the changes
> file. (Still it should be documented).

Good call; I added this just now to devel-ref "5.5 Interim releases".

> I switched to fakeroot
> dpkg-buildpackage -sa a while ago and have not had any problems.  It
> seems that I get an automatic complaint about missing source, even
> if the source has not changed. So I just upload it every time.

Yes, if you can't have a md5sum'd upstream source in your changes,
dinstall will properly ignore it.  And a good thing, too!