debmake + devscripts vs. debhelper

I have been using debmake+devscripts to build my debian packages till
now.  How does this compare to debhelper?  Also, I remember seeing some
post in debian-devel which said that one of these (debmake or debhelper)
is being orphaned or is no longer in active development.  Should I move
to debhelper.

I know.  I know.  I should move to hand rolling all my packages.  Will
do so in a couple of months when I have the time to read my
documentation.

S.
--
 "This barbecue will be hard, thankless work.  But I am sure you are
               up to it Marge." -- Homer J. Simpson