Re: m68k and other binaries

On Mon 05 Oct 1998, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 05:51:38PM +0200, Philipp Frauenfelder écrivait:
> > I'm a new maintainer (a few weeks only) and have a package with
> > Architecture: i386
> > Today I got a bug report saying it also compiled on a m68k. Is
> > there a possibility for me to test (try it out) beforhand or do
> > I have to wait for such bug reports? I.e. are there machines
> > available to produce m68k (alpha, sparc etc.) binaries?
>
> The problem isn't there. Most Unix programs are not hardware-dependant
> and compile on different architectures. That's why you generally have to
> set "architecture" to "any". If you set architecture to "i386" you
> say that the program works only on i386 and that's not the case.

Indeed.

The packages where you would want to put "i386" or another fixed
architecture instead of "any" is for example "lilo" or "dosemu" which are
very specific to the i386 platform, or which contain bits that are only
available in i386 assembler (without a C equivalent).

So, it's usually best to assume that a package is buildable on any
architecture unless you know for sure it's not.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands