Re: netscape's .deb package

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Bedrock LAN Administrator wrote:
> Greetings again folx.  I've got Debian 2.0 "out of the box", and
> looked on all 4 CD's for netscape.  What I found did not seem to
> contain the complete package.  I tried to use alien to install
> Netscape4 from my redhat 5.1 CD, but this failed.  Netscape's home
> page is built like spaghetti, so I would appreciate someone pointing
> me to where exactly I can get Netscape4 to install.
> Thanks in advance for your help.

IMHO the prefered way to install netscape communicator is:

1. Get the netscape4 .deb-package. It's in contrib:
  web/netscape4_4.0-12.deb
2. Get the original archive from netscape, found on their ftp-server:
  file communicator-v406-export.x86-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz in
  directory
 /pub/communicator/4.06/shipping/english/unix/linux20/base_install
  (this is the international version, the U.S. version has a similar name)
3. Place the archive from 2. in /tmp, and let it own by root.root (chown
   root.root /tmp/communicator* )
4. Install the .deb with dpkg
   dpkg -i netscape4_4.0-12.deb
That's all.

Hubert

Hubert Weikert  DB1MQ  Member of DARC (www.darc.de) and FITUG (www.fitug.de)
weikert@cube.net  weikert@debian.org  weikert@compuserve.com  www.weikert.de
Key= 21978C61  fingerprint= 99 38 A5 83 C8 76 F4 E1  A7 9C B9 70 9A A7 70 10