Re: netscape's .deb package -- my solution(s)

Bill, thanks for the pointer.  I had multiple problems, so it would
seem.  I'll tell the problems (with solutions) in the hopes others
reading this list will benefit from it.

(1) trying to ftp from my debian machine to ftp.netscape.com (which I
tried at first) failed, because I don't have the ipmasq-ftp package
installed on my other machine with the internet connection. (silly me
forgot to install it in the first place, since I had no need for it
before now).

(2) as a workaround for (1), I just used my LAN's gateway to get to
netscape's ftp site and found the package where Bill pointed to.  I'll
install ipmasq-ftp on a rainy day. ;-) It was taking so long to
download that I tried one more thing wile it was transferring.

(3) using alien on the rpm package, i simply told it to create a .deb
package from the .rpm, and then install the .deb.  For some reason,
this failed, but I later found (after posting my question to this
list) that using 'alien -i netscape..rpm' worked just fine.  Note to
the newbies that you'll have to modify redhat's shell script
/usr/bin/netscape to work with debian.  I simply removed it and
created a pointer /usr/bin/netscape -> /usr/bin/netscape-communicator.

All is well now, as they say.  Of course, there are a few other issues
yet to deal with, but they are beyond the scope of this message.
Thanks again for your help, and I hope that my reply has helped
others.

 - DeJay.
  _________
| http://bedrock.dyn.ml.org/dejay     |