Re: Why only one non-free section?

Sven

> do you suggest the universities start selling debian cds to finance themself.

I don't see why not.  They have a captive market of near-penniless students
who would be willing to buy the CDs from them.  As long as they don't get
greedy, there's no incentive for the students to bother doing their own.

> like said, the true problem is not on selling CDs, but on using the product
> in their own product, without giving some of the benefits back to the
> people who made it.
>
> this is ok for people who code the thing as part of their hobby, and don't
> need to live from it, but that coudl mean in the future most of the
> software will be written, by people doing IS management, and then writting
> freeware between two reboots of NT servers.
>
> and then most universities make money from deals with big companies to
> use their software designs, what will happen to that if they just release
> everything to GPL, ? I just read somewhere that they are less CS graduates
> every year, this will not help in that. will the free software movement
> be the death of computing like we know it today ?

I don't think you've read one word of the FSF manifesto, the Debian Social
Contract or the works of Eric Raymond.  You also don't seem to understand
the purpose of this list is /not/ for flamewars about relative merits of
licence terms, but for introducing people to the Debian Packaging system.

debian-mentors
This list is for newbie maintainers who seek help with initial packaging
and other developer-related issues. Those who prefer one-on-one help
should also post to the list, and an experienced developer will volunteer.

If you must discuss this in the context of debian, then debian-policy is
the only even vaguely suitable list to do it on.  But even then, most
of what you seem interested in discussing has only one sensible forum,
and that is gnu.misc.discuss.

Now please, take this discussion elsewhere.

--
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox