Re: libmsgcat and sympa : my first packages

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 06:56:47PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 10:24:04AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog écrivait:
> > Any comments is welcome... especially about the scripts.
>
> [sympa is a mailing-list manager && libmsgcat-perl a small perl
>  module who enable the use of catclose/catopen/catgets in perl]
>
> Since nobody wants to look a the (binaries and source) packages and make
> some comments, I'll ask more precise questions :
>
> - I don't know if I follow FSSTND with my packages, i've used :
>   - /var/spool/sympa/* for the messages queues

sounds good...

>   - /var/lib/sympa/* for the configuration for the lists and for the
>     archives of the lists !

maybe ok....

>   - /usr/lib/sympa for some perl modules (private to sympa)
>   - /etc/sympa.conf for the main configuration file
> - In order to make sympa works, I had to restart sysklogd with "-r" (UDP
>   logging allowed), so I decide to modify /etc/init.d/sysklogd using
>   sed. Does this break anything in Debian Policy ?

yes it does...
anythin gin /etc/init.d should be a conffile. You should not edit other
packages conffiles. In fact...you shouldn't edit any file owned by another
package (which does leave some stickey points here and there)

If you need this on...maybe you should work out some scheme with the
sysklogd maintainer. Eiether have you changes in by default or
add some way you can "turn it on" (ie by the existance of a file or
some such)

> Or should I simply
>   show a message explaining what to do in order to enable it ?

that works too...

>   Furthermore, I had to modify /etc/syslog.conf (it's handled by debstd)

same deal..or as the policy manual puts it:
     Only packages that are tagged *conflicting* with each other may
     specify the same file as `conffile'. A package may not modify a
     configuration file of another package.

it doesn't sound like you want to conflict with sysklogd

>   and I want to restart syslog before sympa, but I can't since
>   debstd add some commands to postinst (including the call to sympa start).
>   I can only add it at the very end (by adding a line to
>   debian/tmp/DEBIAN/postinst manually after debstd has run.

not a good idea...you really shouldn't go restarting other deamons anyway

> - I create a system account called sympa, but I doesn't remove it when
>   the package is removed or purged. Should I do it ? I looked at the majordomo
>   package and he doesn't remove the majordom account too.

majordomo is UID 30 GID 31 and from the policy manual:
{/usr/doc/debian-policy/policy.text.gz}

     The UID and GID ranges are as follows:

     0-99:
          Globally allocated by the Debian project, must be the same on
          every Debian system. These ids will appear in the `passwd' and
          `group' files of all Debian systems, new ids in this range being
          added automatically as the `base-passwd' package is updated.

          Packages which need a single statically allocated uid or gid
          should use one of these; their maintainers should ask the
          `base-passwd' maintainer for ids.

another option could be:
     100-999:
          Dynamically allocated system users and groups. Packages which
          need a user or group, but can have this user or group allocated
          dynamically and differently on each system, should use ``adduser
          --system'' to create the group and/or user. adduser will check
          for the existence of the user or group, and if necessary choose
          an unused id based on the ranged specified in `adduser.conf'.

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"