Re: debstd trouble with multi-binary package

>> "JC" == Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> writes:

JC> /usr/doc/debhelper/from-debstd

JC> It raised another though:  The result of following these instructions
showed
JC> me a LOT of things to add to debian/rules.  Most of them aren't used
in this
JC> package.  How do I know which are and which aren't for sure?

I did the move and all problems I had with debstd vanished. All dh_*
utilities have manpages. When you don't add cronjobs, then simply don't
use dh_installcron (although it won't do any harm when it doesn't find the
files to install). The examples in the debhelper packages also helped me a
lot.

Here is a part  of my rules file before and after the move:
 (it is simplyfied, as this is a multibinary package. But hey, I just have
  to add -a after all dh_* calls and it wil build all packages instead of
 only the main one :-)

binary-arch: checkroot build
        $(checkdir)
        -rm -rf debian/tmp
        install -d debian/tmp
        cd debian/tmp && install -d `cat ../dirs`
        make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp
        install -m 644 CHANGES debian/tmp/usr/doc/$(package)/changelog
        debstd README README.source TODO
        dpkg-gencontrol
        chown -R root.root debian/tmp
        chmod -R go=rX debian/tmp
        dpkg --build debian/tmp ..

*************

binary-arch: build
        dh_testdir
        dh_testroot
        dh_clean
        dh_installdirs
        make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp
        dh_installdocs
        dh_installmenu
        dh_installchangelogs CHANGES
        dh_strip
        dh_compress
        dh_fixperms
        dh_installdeb
        dh_shlibdeps
        dh_gencontrol
        dh_md5sums
        dh_builddeb

Note that you can use dh_testdir [$(checkdir)] and dh_testroot [checkroot]
in the whole rules file.

dh_fixperms is the chown, chmod part
I moved form the debstd invovation README README.source TODO into the docs
file and call dh_installdocs instead
Really nice is dh_installchangelogs instead of the install -m644 ... call
dpkg-gencontrol is now dh_gencontrol

Hope this helps,
	Martin (see you on #debian; I am surf)