Some newbie questions

Hello!

I am brand new to "debianization". ;)
I have read the manuals and tried to build a package.

Now that I actually started doing something some
questions showed up.

1)
debmake or debhelper/dh_make?

It looks like both packages are kind of actual:
They are maintained, bugs are to be fixed and so on ..

It is just a personal decision which one to use.
Right?

2)
Running "build -rsudo" ends up in:

dpkg-deb: parse error, in file `debian/tmp/DEBIAN/control' near line 4 package
`gmp3':
 `Depends' field, missing package name, or garbage where package name expected
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 2

Here are parts of the files which have to do with this
as far as I understood the process:
- -------------- begin: control --------------
[...]
Package: gmp3
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
[...]
- --------------- end: control ---------------

- --- begin: substvars --- (sure: This is one line originally ---
shlibs:Depends=gdk-imlib-nonfree1 (>=1.3) |  (>=1.3), giflib3g, \
libc6, libgtk1 (>= 1:1.0.4-1), libjpegg6a, libpng0g, libpng2, \
libtiff3g, xlib6g (>= 3.3-5), zlib1g
- --- end: substvars --------------------------------------------

- -------------- begin: rules --------------
#!/usr/bin/make -f
# Made with the aid of debmake, by Christoph Lameter,
# based on the sample debian/rules file for GNU hello by Ian Jackson.

package=gmp3

[...]

binary-arch: checkroot build
        $(checkdir)
        -rm -rf debian/tmp
        install -d debian/tmp
        cd debian/tmp && install -d `cat ../dirs`
        make install DESTDIR=`pwd`/debian/tmp
# Must have debmake installed for this to work. Otherwise please copy
# /usr/bin/debstd into the debian directory and change debstd to debian/debstd
        debstd -u -p ChangeLog README TODO COPYING PATCHES INSTALL
        dpkg-gencontrol
        chown -R root.root debian/tmp
        chmod -R go=rX debian/tmp
        dpkg --build debian/tmp ..
[...]
- --------------- end: rules ---------------

I thought, the generated line in substvars should fill
my Dependency field. Do I have to run some command
to make this happen?

3)
The way I know now to build a debian package is:

First "debmake" or "debhelper/dh_make".
Then manual customations.
Then "build" where some tools out of debmake or debhelper are used.

So it turns out to be a decision between debmake and debhelper.
Are there more? I heard there are some nice tools wich
work with CVS. I didn't use CVS yet, but I installed it and
wanted to give it a look soon.

I would be glad if someone would list the possibilities I
have to build debs.

4)
The generated debian/rules files had
'make CFLAGS="-O2 -g -Wall"'
in their target named "build".

Should every debian-file have debugger-information compiled in?
(-g is the debugger-information swith, isn't it?)

I removed the CFLAGS from debian/rules. If I leave them there
the CFLAGS of my upstream Makefile aren't used. Is there a
way both are appended?

5)
Part of my Makefile reads:
INSTALLDIR=$(DESTDIR)/usr/X11R6
BINDIR=$(INSTALLDIR)/bin
LIBDIR=$(INSTALLDIR)/lib/gmp3

May I append "/usr/X11R6" directly to "$(DESTDIR)"? This way I have
only to change one line. Even if there is one "l" to much.  ;)

OK. I think thats all for now. I hope my questions aren't
just RTFMs and some of you nice guys find some time to
answer them.

 bye
   Florian

- --
  Florian Hinzmann               f.hinzmann@public.uni-hamburg.de
                                 fh@dipa.de
NEW PGP-Key fingerprint: DD 61 74 34 04 FB 8A BD  43 54 83 38 0C 82 EF B1