time to ask for some help

I'm packaging the Windows emulator TWIN.  It's my first library package
and the experience has been very educational (though in retrospect I think
I should have picked something a little smaller.)  I have a a nice -dev
package.  I have nice static libraries. I'm still getting problems with
shared libraries.  So it's time for some expert advice.

What is the currect incantation for producing shared libs?

TWINs configure script produces:

-shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic

to which I've added -D_REENTRANT as per policy.

The object files are linked with:

-fwritable-strings -fPIC

Yet this doesn't seem to be good enough.  What's wrong?

Also this package takes an hour to compile on my Pentium 100.  Would it be
ok to do it on va or master instead?

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>