Re: updates to upstream packages

"Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 06:51:11PM +0100, James Troup wrote:
> > tmancill <tmancill@us.lhsgroup.com> writes:
> >
> > > Put another way: "Am I going to mess up any of the automated
> > > scripts processing the archive if I make changes to the
> > > .orig.tar.gz without giving it a new name?"
> >
> > No.
>
> James is right, *but* don't call it .orig.tar.gz then, because it's
> not pristine source. In such a case, theere's not .diff.gz then...

Eh?  The use of .orig.tar.gz pre-dates the use of pristine source
significantly.  Often there is no way to make certain alterations to
the upstream source other than to alter the .orig.tar.gz (i.e. if you
want to mass-remove or add a bunch of binaries, alter symlinks, etc.).
Making changes to the .orig.tar.gz does make it non-pristine but that
*doesn't* mean you should go to no .diff.gz and .tar.gz; the latter is
for Debian-originated source packages (e.g. pdmenu, sysvinit, dpkg
etc.).  non-pristine != Debian-originated

--
James
~Yawn And Walk North~                                  http://yawn.nocrew.org/