Re: uploading packages

Norbert Veber <nveber@vtech.dyn.ml.org> writes:

> I made a  new version of the xinetd package (xinetd2.2.1-4.deb), but I am
> having dificulty locating the guidelines for uploading new packages.  I have
> created a changes file, but I noticed that the changes files in Incoming on
> master.debian.org also have some extra fields including the description
> architecture, md5 sums and such.

Install dpkg-dev, fakeroot and dupload.

Make sure your name in the changelog matches your PGP key.  Use
`dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot' from the package directory to create
the package and everything else you need automatically.

The easiest way to upload is to set up ssh so that you can `ssh
master.debian.org' and get in without a password.  Make sure
/etc/dupload.conf is set up.  Check that /etc/dupload.conf is set up
properly.  Use `dupload --to master xinetd2.2.1-4_i386.changes' to do
the upload and email announcement.

> Where is the format of this file described, and where is the upload
> policy described? (ie. other files that I might need to upload).

Some of it is in /usr/doc/dpkg/, some in
/usr/doc/developers-reference/, and some in other places.  I think
there might be some in /usr/doc/debian-policy/.

"[UNIX] appears to have the inside track on being the replacement for
  CP/M on the largest microcomputers (e.g. those based on 68000...)"