The proper locations of .xbm icons

What, exactly, is the proper location for .xbm and .xpm icons?

I ask because I had just been putting the fvwm95 icons in
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps - but I notice that other packages
place icons in a variety of places:
usr/X11R6/icons
usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmap      (Almost certainly a typo by someone)
usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps     (Where fvwm95 puts them)
usr/X11R6/include/pixmaps
usr/X11R6/lib/X11/${package}
usr/X11R6/lib/${package}
usr/lib/games/${package}
usr/lib/picon/*/*/*/*
usr/lib/${package}
usr/share/${package}
usr/share/icons
usr/share/icons/mini

And certainly other places I've left out.

Now, I don't like this somewhat random state of affairs, where any
package stores icons in any of the above places.  So what's correct?
I'm torn between a standard place for all icons (like usr/share/icons)
and a directory that includes the package name (like
usr/share/$package/icons or usr/share/icons/${package}) - there are
advantages and disadvantages to both.  (The disadvantage to the common
directory is that it'll be easy to generate conflicting icon names -
especially with names like xcopilot's 'icon.xpm'; I had a disadvantage
to the per-package directory scheme, but can't think of it at the
moment - it's too late for my brain to work well).

In any case, thoughts on this?  Last time I read the FSSTD I don't
remember this being discussed, but I may be mis-remembering, and I
haven't yet read fully the FHS.