Re: my first package... loads of questions :)

Martin Schulze wrote:
> the maintainer.  Well, there's just right another, using debhelper
> partially prevents the package from being compiled on other
> architectures.[1]
>
> [1] We had this problem with binary-sparc where no new perl package
>     existed so all packages using debhelper couldn't be re-packaged
>     for the Sparc archtitecture.

Woah, woah, woah.. if perl is broken and won't build on the target arch,
that is hardly debhelper's fault. Debhelper depends on a version of perl
that has been available for debian (i386) since May _1997_.

Also, in about 90% of packages that use debhelper, you can force an install
of debhelper and the package will build ok without perl. The remaining 10%
can probably be worked around by installing perl 5.003 and grabbing
/usr/lib/perl/Getopt/Long.pm from perl 5.004 on an i386. If that helps you
any on your porting efforts..

--
see shy jo