Re: Uploading packages

On Sat, May 23, 1998 at 02:27:26PM +0200, Bart Warmerdam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made a package (sound-recorder_0.04-1_i386.deb). This is to be my first
> upload. My question is:
>
> Its a direct-to-disk recorder and contains:
> 	record (no cdrom support), cdrom-record and play-sample
>
> Can i use this name (same as tar-ball) for the package or do you need it to be
> the same as the binary (ELF) and therefore be 3 separate packages??

Normally the debian package has the same name as the original package.
Exceptions, of course, are libraries where a lib might be prepended and
-dev appended, same as 'g' for glibc version, and when the original
name contains characters that we must not use such as an underscore
or dot or something.

So if the programs come from one original tarball they normally
create one debian package.

> I used sound/extra as section/priority, is this correct??

extra and optional should be fine.

> Where do i upload it. /home/Debian/ftp/private/project/Incoming because of the
> freeze of hamm (so in other words is this slink).

And put the files (world-readable!) in the directory you are
pointed to by logging in into master.

> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 20:04:37 +0200
> Source: sound-recorder
> Binary: sound-recorder
> Architecture: source i386
> Version: 0.04-1
>  sound-recorder - Direct-to-disk recording and play-back programs.
                                                                   ^
                                                   Not needed, afaik.
> Changes:
>  sound-recorder (0.04-1) unstable; urgency=low

Regards,

	Joey

 /                                     http://home.pages.de/~joey/
/  Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!   /