library questions

Hello again, and thanks for your quick responses to my last queries.
I have two questions tonight, both relating to a package I have just
adopted.  The package in question is objpak, a library of Objective-C
classes.  The previous debianized version is very old, so I have
chosen to simply start from scratch with the current upstream
version.  The two issues I face are:

 1. Major version number vs. soname

    The old debianized version was libobjpak.so.1.1.1.  The new
    upstream version is version 1.8.18, which would still mean it
    would be linked to libobjpak.so.1, but the interface has changed
    significantly (all the classes have been renamed).

    There are no Debian packages which depend on objpak.

    Given the differences in interface, should I bump the shared
    library version to 2?  If I do that, what happens when the
    upstream version goes to 2.0 (assuming it does that any time
    soon)?  Or should I leave it at the default, since it won't break
    any existing or future (since objpak is not in hamm at all) Debian
    packages?

 2. Compiler differences

    Objective-C implementation differs between compilers (or more
    precisely, between compiler front-ends).  Thus, it is impossible
    to use a library compiled by GNU Objective-C with a binary
    compiled by some other Objective-C system.

    Objpak is part of a complete Objective-C system, which I would
    like to package eventually (it does a few things gobjc does not).
    However, objpak is sufficiently portable and useful that it should
    also be available for users of the GNU compiler -- that's what I'm
    packaging now.

    Obviously, there has to be some way to allow both builds to exist
    on the same system without conflict, since any package which
    depends on one of them cannot use the other interchangeably.  (A
    conflict between -dev packages does not seem like nearly as large
    a problem, but it might be avoidable too.)

    The obvious answer is to name the libraries differently.  My first
    idea is to have 'objpak1' and 'objpak-gcc1'... on the other hand,
    I could use 'objpak-poc1' and 'objpak1'.  Have there been any
    policy decisions on this sort of thing?  Is there a better
    solution? Does it even matter, since hardly anyone uses
    Objective-C? :-)

Thanks for your time,
- --Rob

- --