Re: A few questions

Gregory Dickinson <debian@BARW.COM> writes:

This probably should be on -user.

> Hello.  I am setting up a web site with a whole lot of goodies
> installed also :-) I have a couple of questions and a problem, and
> if someone could at least point me in the direction I need to be
> headed in, I would be greatly appreciative.  Here are my "silly"
> questions, please don't laugh too hard! :-) 1.) For the storage on
> this site, we have acquired an old Proliant RAID cabinet and
> populated it with 7 4.1 gb drives (28 gb total) and we are
> dedicating 3 of these drives to our ftp site.  I am looking for a
> way (if it is possible) to mount all three of these drives at a
> single mount point to cut down on silly long directory structures.
> Any ideas?

I am assuming that you have one of those RAID cabinets that hooks up
to your server using external SCSI connectors.

You can use Linux's software RAID0 or RAID1 to combine the three
drives into a single partition.  This logical partition can then be
used as a single mount point.

> 2.) I don't think that this one is possible, but here goes: We are
> using a "real" IP address from the company that we work for, and are
> wondering if there is a way to create a "virtual network" using IP
> Masquerade or some such.  For example, a browser would hit the DNS
> at out "public" server and be directed to an address like
> 172.17.4.28.  There would have to be two NIC's in the main server,
> and have it hooked up to a hub with all the other workstations on
> it.

Linux does support masquerading, but I am not quite sure what you're
asking.  I do use masquerading at home and have a DNS server on my
gateway machine that services requests internally.

> 3.) When I installed 1.3.1, I installed from the packages on the CD
> the wu-ftp server.  I also chose to use shadow passwords.  Now
> whenever a "real" user (added with adduser) FTP's to the site, they
> cannot log in via FTP.  It tells them access denied.  Any ideas?

Are you using wu-ftpd?

--
John Goerzen        Linux, Unix programming           jgoerzen@complete.org |